Moving to Jekyll
A brief note to indicate we have ported the FT Labs blog from Wordpress to Jekyll.
A variety reasons, including
- We had no immediately available Wordpress skills (nor did we particularly want any).
- Wordpress, whilst being largely fine, involved too much peripheral noise.
- Jekyll gives us easy access to all parts of the blog.
- By using our GitHub accounts for Jekyll admin access, we can remove the need to maintain accounts in Wordpress.
- Increased visibility of the blog and its workings to FT tech people.
- We can use the lovely GitHub Pages as a host, and remove another system from the list of Things We Have To Worry About (tm).
- Jekyll+Liquid is fun.
- We have striven to persist the permalinks of the old FT Labs posts.
- We are slowly teasing out all the WordPress-isms which resulted from the initial, fairly brutal, recursive web-suck
- Does not yet seem to have lead to a marked increase in the rate at which we write new posts, so may simply have been a fine example of Yak Shaving.